10 Facts About Mold
Many homeowners will experience mold damage at some point. If you think there is mold growth in your home in Blackman, TN, it may be helpful to understand a few facts about mold. There is a difference between mold being present and mold being a problem.
1. Mold is all around. Mold only becomes a problem when it is drawn to a surface to land and thrive on.
2. Mold likes moisture. Mold needs water to grow rapidly. Areas with high humidity often see more frequent mold growth.
3. Mold smells musty. One of the first signs that you have a mold problem is that you will smell a dank, stale odor.
4. Mildew is not mold. What most people think of as mildew in their bathroom is more likely a type of mold. Mildew mainly grows on plants, whereas mold tends to grow on surfaces.
5. Bleach doesn't kill mold. Because bleach is mostly water, it can actually increase mold growth. Rather than killing it, it merely turns it white.
6. Mold is airborne but doesn't stay that way. Mold travels indoors by hitching a ride on clothes, shoes, bags, and pets.
7. Mold is diverse. There are over 10,000 species of mold, and they come in a variety of colors and textures. Only a handful of species are common indoors.
8. Mold happens quickly. Mold can start to grow in as little as 24 hours after excess moisture has entered the environment.
9. Test kits aren't helpful. Because DIY test kits report the presence of mold rather than the excess of it, they aren't helpful in detecting a problem. A test by a certified industrial hygienist is necessary.
10. Mitigation is for the experts. While you may be able to take care of a small patch of mold in your home, large problems require professional mitigation so that they don't get bigger or return.
Whether the mold growth in your home is the result of water damage or humidity, knowing how to resolve the problem and prevent it is important. Armed with these facts, you are more likely to notice signs of mold.